During last weeks’ PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando we had a chance to see where the golf industry is heading in terms of best golf putters. We saw putters with inserts and those who don’t. Inserts are a great way to save weight in putter designs, making putters more forgiving, more stable and in many cases providing golfers with a softer feel. We did not see “colors” like we now see in drivers but that can change any day. There is not a real consensus as to what is right and what is not even amongst the top players in the world, Tiger Woods uses a putter with grooves, Rory McIlroy switched back and forth from grooves to flat and back to grooves, Luke Donald uses an insert putter, which means the top 3 players in the world can’t even agree on what works best. The following were our best golf putters in terms of aesthetics, innovations and crowd traffic during the PGA Merchandise Show.
- Tropical Abaco – Rife Putters. The NEW 2012 Tropical finish models offer a durable finish that’s created through an intricate plating process. The result – a unique putter that is very wear-resistant. The 2012 Tropical finish prevents oxidation, increases hardness, and makes the putter very durable. This plating process creates a broad spectrum of colors that emanate from this deep rich gunmetal like finish creating a “prism effect”. Every putter is truly one of a kind. (Review in 2 weeks)
- Signature Limited Run – Bettinardi. Signature Series 5 is 100% classic Bettinardi, and is the crown jewel of the 2013 line of putters. The Signature 5 is based off of a BB1 head with a reverse taper flow neck. The uniqueness of the neck is narrower at the base and gets wider into a flare tip shaft. This gives the effect of the neck completely melting into the head at address.
- ProType Black – Odyssey. Softer feel, true roll, the ProType line was born out of unique putters crafted for the best players in the world. The Odyssey design team has taken feedback from Tour players all over the world to create a line of forged-milled premium putters that offer a uniquely soft feel while still giving the crisp feedback of a steel putter. With the fine tuned design and custom color program, the ProType Tour Series line lets you feel like a pro. (review in 3 weeks)
- Newport 1.5 – Scotty Cameron. From address, the Newport 1.5 flare neck melts away from your vision, allowing a clean view of the ball that may convert you to this setup for good. That’s the beauty of the new Select line, there’s something for everyone. Literally. Same great styling of a family well designed, but individual enough for each model to shine on its own. And speaking of brilliance, notice the new milled Cherry Dots, a trademark Scotty look. (review in 3 weeks)
- Anser – Ping Golf. In the Anser Milled Series, PING carries on the tradition of the winningest, most complimented putter design in golf by introducing seven new models to fit more stroke types and style preferences. With the Anser Milled line, we introduce our new “Fit for Stroke” concept of putter fitting. (review in 2 weeks)